Jump to navigation Jump to search
From sun + flower. Compare English sunbloom.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsʌnˌflaʊ.ɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsʌnˌflaʊə/
Audio (southern England) (file)
- Hyphenation: sun‧flow‧er
sunflower (plural sunflowers)
- Any plant of the genus Helianthus, so called probably from the form and color of its floral head, having the form of a large disk surrounded by yellow ray flowers.
- 1954 July 29, J.R.R. Tolkien, “I: A Long-Expected Party”, in The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings; 1), →ISBN:
- The flowers glowed red and golden: snapdragons and sunflowers, and nasturtians trailing all over the turf walls and peeping in at the round windows.
- The commonly cultivated species, Helianthus annuus, a native of America.
- A bright yellow, like that of the flower petals.
- (informal, organic chemistry) Any flat, radially symmetric organic compound such as coronene
- (pathology) Synonym of worm-star
- sunflower on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Helianthus on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Helianthus on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- sunflower at USDA Plants database
- sunflower at Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- English compound terms
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- English informal terms
- en:Organic chemistry
- English endocentric compounds
- en:Heliantheae tribe plants