Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Of, related to, feeling, showing, or characterized by sympathy.
- John looked very upset. I gave him a sympathetic look.
- Antonym: unsympathetic
- (of a person) Attracting the liking of others.
- (relational) Relating to, producing, or denoting an effect which arises through an affinity, interdependence, or mutual association.
- Sympathetic magic is based on imitation or correspondence.
- (of magic) A supernatural connection or power resulting from two items having the same form or some other correspondence.
- 1936, Rollo Ahmed, The Black Art, London: Long, page 225:
- One of his great enthusiasms was for a "sympathetic" weapon salve, an idea originating in Paracelsus.
- (sound) Relating to musical tones produced by sympathetic vibration or to strings so tuned as to sound by sympathetic vibration.
- (neuroanatomy, neurology, relational) Relating to or denoting the part of the autonomic nervous system consisting of nerves arising from ganglia near the middle part of the spinal cord, supplying the internal organs, blood vessels, and glands, and balancing the action of the parasympathetic nerves.
- Sympathetic innervation involves epinephrine.
- Antonym: parasympathetic
- sympathetic detonation
- sympathetic hyperactivity
- sympathetic ink
- sympathetic nervous system
- sympathetic powder
- sympathetic string
- sympathetic trunk
- sympathetic vibration
- sympatho-, sympath-
relating to part of the autonomic nervous system