Jump to navigation Jump to search
- sympathetick (obsolete)
- of, related to, showing, or characterized by sympathy
- 1963, C.L.R. James, The Black Jacobins, 2nd Revised edition, page 14:
- Vaublanc, in San Domingo so sympathetic to the sorrows of labour in France, had to fly from Paris in August, 1792, to escape the wrath of the French workers.
- John looked very upset. I gave him a sympathetic look.
- Antonym: unsympathetic
- relating to similarity
- Sympathetic magic is based on imitation or correspondence.
- (physiology) relating to the sympathetic nervous system
- Sympathetic innervation involves epinephrine.
- Antonym: parasympathetic
- Relating to sounds induced by vibrations conveyed through a fluid or gas from a body already in vibration.
- Of magic, a supernatural connection or power resulting from two items having the same form or some other correspondence.
- 1936, Rollo Ahmed, The Black Art, London: Long, page 225:
- One of his great enthusiasms was for a "sympathetic" weapon salve, an idea originating in Paracelsus.