Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete) Alternative plural form of .
- (Now chiefly dialectal) Pertaining to or derived from trees; wooden; made of wood.
1674, William Camden, “Wise Speeches”, in Remains Concerning Britain: Their Languages, Names, Surnames, Allusions, Anagramms, Armories, Moneys, Impresses, Apparel, Artillerie, Wise Speeches, Proverbs, Poesies, Epitaphs, Charles Hopper, page 354:
- Theſe homely cups and diſhes pay truly for that they contain: I had rather drink out of treene, and pay gold and ſilver, than drink out of gold and ſilver, and make wooden payment.
1670 October 15, John Evelyn, “XVI”, in Sylva, or a Discourse of Forest-Trees and the Propagation of Timber in His Majesties Dominions, Second edition, Royal Society, page 75:
- To ſhew our Reader yet, that theſe are no novel Experiments, we are to know, that a large Tract of the World almoſt altogether ſubſiſt on theſe Treen Liquors; Eſpecially that of the Date,
- Household articles made of wood.
1949, Edward Pinto, Treen; or, Small woodware throughout the ages, London: Batsford, page 1:
- References to treen are numerous in old English literature, particularly to chalices, cups, bowls, platters, and "services of treen".
- (Now chiefly dialectal, Scotland) A large wooden platter.
- (household articles made of wood): treenware