Jump to navigation Jump to search
underlying (not comparable)
- lying underneath
- We dug down to the underlying rock.
- basic or fundamental
- Points and straight lines are underlying elements of geometry.
- 2020 December 2, Christian Wolmar, “Wales offers us a glimpse of an integrated transport policy”, in Rail, page 56:
- The underlying problem with transport policy is that there no coherent strategy. Ministers have tended to encourage greater use of motor vehicles through both transport and (particularly) planning policies, while simultaneously warning of the terrible consequences of unfettered growth of road use.
- Many nursery rhymes have an underlying meaning.
basic or fundamental
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
underlying (plural underlyings)