Jump to navigation Jump to search
vibe (plural vibes)
- (plural only, colloquial) A vibraphone. [earlier 20th c.]
- (informal) Vibration. [later 20th c.]
- (informal) A vibrator (sex toy). [later 20th c.]
- (informal, originally New Age jargon, often in the plural) An atmosphere or aura felt to belong to a person, place or thing. [c. 1960s]
- The couple canceled their night out when they got a bad vibe from the new babysitter.
- 2014 July 7, Pat Simmons, Guilty of Love, Generation Quest Press:
- I like her. I get good vibes from her.
- 2016 May 24, Matt de la Peña, The Hunted, Ember, →ISBN, page 150:
- This place is giving me bad vibes.
- 2022 September 7, Elizabeth Wagmeister, “Can Kelly Clarkson Save Daytime? The Host on Taking Over Ellen’s Spot, Touring Again and Broadway Dreams”, in Variety:
- I have no problem with nudity. I'm, like, a total nudist. But that's just not my vibe, artistry-wise. A little mystery goes a long way for me.
- (informal, preceded by the) Something that is good, trendy, pleasant, or atmospheric; a thing or person with a good vibe.
- 2022 January 3, Erin Crabtree, “‘The Bachelor’ Premiere Recap: Clayton Echard Has 1st Rose Rejected as Salley Quits Before Night 1”, in Us Weekly:
- Once inside, Clayton wasted no time testing his chemistry with the women, kissing Teddi, Kira, Eliza, Cassidy and Rachel. However, not all of his relationships were so easy — Claire announced to the other contestants that her one-on-one time with Clayton was “not the vibe,” noting that he was too nice for her.
- 2022 October 27, Paloma Torres, quoting Potentially Petty/Hot Person, “Advice Column: Am I becoming hotter or just pettier? Paloma Torres answers the age-old question constantly on everyone's minds”, in The Eyeopener, volume 56, number 7, page 3:
- I’ve noticed my attitude just hasn’t been the vibe lately. Yesterday I totally lost it at a restaurant because my pasta was only 18 C, which is two degrees below normal room temperature—like two degrees! How could they?
- 2023 March 28, Elizabeth Lopatto, “How much money do we think Substack lost last year?”, in The Verge:
- Substack certainly knows this. It tried to raise last year, seeking $75 million to $100 million from investors. But it had revenue of only $9 million in 2021, and a sky-high valuation on relatively little revenue was not the vibe in 2022. The company gave up.
short for vibraphone
atmosphere or aura
- (transitive, colloquial) To stimulate with a vibrator.
- 2015, Allison Moon, Girl Sex 101, page 49:
- If your usual routine is hammering or vibing your clit for three minutes before you run out the door, try giving yourself five minutes of exploratory time.
- (intransitive, colloquial) To relax and enjoy oneself.
- (intransitive, colloquial) To agree.
- 2000 November, Vibe, volume 8, page 60:
- Besides, even if you don't vibe with his subject matter, he is a style king of West Coast, down-tempo gangsta-pimp music.
- 2012, Sam Hunter, Book One: A Makaveli Prince's Novel:
- Nia was glad she'd let Rico bring her to the club as she vibed with the fusion of Latin sounds and American hip-hop.
- 2015, Tony Cavanaugh, Kingdom of the Strong:
- Maria took him through the events of the next morning and his recollection vibed with his statement at the time.
- (intransitive, colloquial) To get along; to hit it off.
- 2012, Nikki Carter, Time to Shine, page 9:
- Sam started out being someone I totally vibed with on every level.
- 2014, Mandy Hale, I've Never Been to Vegas, but My Luggage Has:
- Nervous and shaky but feigning confidence, I completed the interview with ease and even managed to vibe with the country cutie.
- 2016, Steven Barker, Now for the Disappointing Part: A Pseudo-Adult's Decade of Short-Term Jobs:
- It was odd, because there was always one person I didn't vibe with in every office I spent time in, sometimes multiple people like in the case with Amazon.
- (transitive, colloquial) To feel in agreement with; to appreciate.
- 2014, Catherine Tukes, Hannah's Song, page 57:
- He was quoting scriptures and stuff from the bible to me and I actually was vibing it, but I know I'm not down with the whole church thing […]
vibe f (plural vibes)
vibe f (plural vibes)