Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: mann
- 1 English
- 2 German
- 3 German Low German
- 4 Luxembourgish
- A surname.
declension of Mann
- The normal plural is Männer, which can be used in all contexts and is used exclusively in contexts other than the following.
- The unchanged plural Mann is sometimes used after numerals. It means "men" as a measure for size or strength of a group, rather than individuals. For example: Mit drei Mann können wir den Schrank heben – "With three people we can lift the cupboard." Military or police personnel, team members, demonstrators, and the like, are often counted using this unchanged plural. This may actually include women.
- The plural Mannen is rare and poetic. It means a group of men, usually soldiers, under the command or leadership of somebody, e.g. Cäsars Mannen ("Caesar's men"). It is sometimes heard in sports jargon, e.g. die Mannen von Trainer XY ("coach XY's men").
- (by gender) Frau f
- (in marriage) Frau f, Ehefrau f
- (by age) Junge m, Knabe m (dated), Bube m (chiefly Swiss and Austrian)
German Low German
- (in many dialects, including Low Prussian) man ((adult) male human)
- (in many dialects, including Low Prussian) short for Ehemann: husband
Mann m (plural Männer)