Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Portugal) IPA(key): [ɐˌkõtɯ̽ˈseɾ]
- (Paulista) IPA(key): [aˌkõteˈse(ɹ)]
- (South Brazil) IPA(key): [aˌkõteˈse(ɻ)]
- (Carioca) IPA(key): [aˌkõteˈse(x)]
- Hyphenation: a‧con‧te‧cer
- happen (to occur)
Conjugation of the Portuguese -er verb acontecer
- This is a regular verb of the -er group.
- The last letter c is changed to ç, depending on the following vowel, resulting in these four possible sequences: -ça-, -ce-, -ci- and -ço-.
- Verbs with this conjugation include: acontecer, amanhecer, carecer, conhecer, descer, esquecer, merecer, parecer, reconhecer, tecer, vencer.
Conjugation of acontecer (See Appendix:Spanish verbs)
Rule: c becomes a zc before a or o.