Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also 'bye
bye (plural byes)
- (sports) The position of a person or team in a tournament or competition who draws no opponent in a particular round so advances to the next round unopposed, or is awarded points for a win in a league table; also the phantom opponent of such a person or team.
- Craig's Crew plays the bye next week.
- (cricket) An extra scored when the batsmen take runs after the ball has passed the striker without hitting either the bat or the batsman.
- (obsolete) A dwelling.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Gibson to this entry?)
- (obsolete) A thing not directly aimed at; something which is a secondary object of regard; an object by the way, etc.
- The Synod of Dort condemneth upon the bye even the discipline of the Church of England.
- (cricket): leg bye
Shortened form of goodbye.
short for goodbye
- Obsolete spelling of by.
- Obsolete spelling of bee.
From English bye
- Allez bye ! À la revoyure.