Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: collège
Audio (US) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈkɑlɪdʒ/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈkɒlɪdʒ/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒlɪdʒ
college (plural colleges)
- (obsolete) A corporate group; a group of colleagues.
- (in some proper nouns) A group sharing common purposes or goals.
- College of Cardinals, College of Surgeons
- (politics) An electoral college.
- An academic institution. [From 1560s.]
- An institution of higher education.
- (US) An institution of higher education teaching undergraduates.
- (attributively, chiefly US) Attendance at an institution of higher education.
- These should be his college years, but he joined the Army.
- (Canada) A postsecondary institution that does not award bachelor's degrees, instead offering vocational training and/or associate's degrees.
- (chiefly UK) A non-specialized, semi-autonomous division of a university, with its own faculty, departments, library, etc.
- Pembroke College, Cambridge; Balliol College, Oxford; University College, London
- (US, New Zealand) A specialized division of a university.
- College of Engineering
- (UK, in the names of private schools) A secondary school.
- Eton College
- (UK) An institution of further education at an intermediate level (in the UK, typically teaching those aged 16 to 19); sixth form.
- (New Zealand) A high school or secondary school.
- (UK) An institution for adult education at a basic or intermediate level (teaching those of any age).
- (Australia) A residential hall associated with a university, which may be independent or have its own tutors but is not involved in teaching.
- (institution of higher education) university
- (specialized division of a university) department, faculty, school
institution of [further education] at an intermediate level
institution for adult education at a basic or intermediate level
(Used mainly in the formal names of private schools) A secondary school
non-specialized, semi-autonomous division of a university, with its own faculty, departments, library, etc
residential hall of a university, which may be independent or have its own tutors but is not involved in teaching
institution of higher education
institution of higher education teaching undergraduates and/or graduates
specialized division of a university
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- institution; organization (establishment of people with similar aims/goals)
- college des Cardinaux
- (please add an English translation of this usage example)
- college des Cardinaux