Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
convent (plural convents)
- A religious community whose members (especially nuns) live under strict observation of religious rules and self-imposed vows.
- The buildings and pertaining surroundings in which such a community lives.
- A gathering of people lasting several days which come from different regions of a country or even the world for the purpose of discussing or working on topics previously selected.
Religious community of especially nuns
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (obsolete) To call before a judge or judicature; to summon; to convene.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- (obsolete) To meet together; to concur.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Beaumont and Flanders to this entry?)
- (obsolete) To be convenient; to serve.
- When that is known and golden time convents.