Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
culmen (plural culmens)
- top; summit; acme
- (Can we find and add a quotation of R. North to this entry?)
- (zoology) The dorsal ridge of a bird's bill.
1997 June 20, “A Role for Ecotones in Generating Rainforest Biodiversity”, Science, volume 276, number 5320, DOI:10.1126/science.276.5320.1855, pages 1855-1857:
- The measurements were taken as follows: wing length, from the carpal joint to the tip of the longest primary; tarsus length, from the tibiotarsal joint to the distal undivided scute; upper mandible length, the chord length from the point where the culmen enters the feathers of the head to the tip; bill depth, in the vertical plane level at the anterior edge of the nares.
1910, Alfred M. Tozzer and Glover M. Allen, Animal Figures in the Maya Codices:
- A very simple form was found in the carving shown in Pl. 17, fig. 13, where a long projecting knob is seen at the base of the culmen.
Third declension neuter.
- Collins Latin Dictionary, ISBN 978-0-00-722439-5