Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The highest point of something.
- the apex of the building
- (figuratively) The moment of greatest success, expansion, etc.
- the apex of civilization
- (geometry) The topmost vertex of a cone or pyramid (in their conventional orientation).
- (chiefly anatomy) The pointed end of something.
- (botany) The end of a leaf, petal or similar organ opposed to the end where it is attached to its support; the tip.
- (astronomy) The point on the celestial sphere toward which the sun appears to move relative to nearby stars.
- (physics) The lowest point on a pendant drop of a liquid.
- (mining, US) The end or edge of a vein nearest the surface.
- (typography) A diacritic in Classical Latin that resembles and gave rise to the acute.
- (typography) A diacritic in Middle Vietnamese that indicates /ŋ͡m/.
- (highest point): peak, top, summit
- (moment of greatest success, expansion, etc): acme, culmination, height, peak, pinnacle
- (pointed end): end, tip
- See also Wikisaurus:apex
moment of greatest success, expansion, etc
in geometry: topmost vertex of a cone or pyramid
botany: end of leaf
- apex in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- apex in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- apex at OneLook Dictionary Search
- cap of a priest (flamen); hat, helmet, crown
- macron (long mark over a vowel)
- vocative singular of