Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: épicène
- epicœne (archaic)
epicene (not comparable)
- Lacking gender distinction, often specifically due to lack of either the masculine or the feminine.
- Effeminae (male with unusually strong female characteristics).
- (biology) Androgynous, hermaphrodite (having both male and female characteristics).
- (biology) Asexual (having neither male nor female characteristics).
- (linguistics) Having only one form of the word, which serves as both masculine and feminine, even for either male or female referents.
- (lacking gender distinction): unisex
- (effeminate): camp, effeminate, unmanly
- (biology: androgynous): androgynous, hermaphrodite
- (biology: asexual): asexual
lacking gender distinction
male with unusually strong female characteristics
having both male and female biological characteristics
having neither male nor female biological characteristics
epicene (plural epicenes)
- A hermaphrodite person or other creature.
- An effeminate person.
- An epicene word, without separate grammatical gender forms.
- An epicene object.
hermaphrodite — see hermaphrodite
- feminine plural of