Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
gradient (plural gradients)
- A slope or incline.
- A rate of inclination or declination of a slope.
- (calculus) Of a function y = f(x) or the graph of such a function, the rate of change of y with respect to x, that is, the amount by which y changes for a certain (often unit) change in x.
- (physics) The rate at which a physical quantity increases or decreases relative to change in a given variable, especially distance.
- (vector algebra) A vector operator that maps each value of a scalar field to a vector equal to the greatest rate of change of the scalar. Notation for a scalar field φ: φ
Derived terms 
slope or incline
rate of inclination or declination of a slope
in vector algebra
- (vector algebra) gradient; a vector operator