mano a mano
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A head-on conflict or direct competition; a duel.
- The other candidates seemed to disappear as the public debate became a heated mano-a-mano between the two leading candidates.
A head-on conflict or direct competition; a duel
- In close confrontation.
- We sat tensely in the courtroom while the mano-a-mano struggle ensued between the two skilled lawyers.
- Characterized by head-to-head competition or conflict.
- The newcomer brashly engaged the veteran player mano-a-mano.
- This phrase is commonly misunderstood by English speakers who think that the term means “man to man”, though in use this meaning would still be similar.
- mano a mano (a head-on conflict or direct competition)
- mano a mano (by means of a head-to-head competition)
- hand to hand (competition), or sometimes hand in hand (cooperation); on equal terms, close together.