Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
percent (plural percent or percents)
- A part or other object per hundred
- A resolution must receive fifty-one percent of the votes to pass.
- A percentage is often denoted by the character %.
- 50% denotes 50 percent.
- The difference of two percentages is measured by percentage point, not by percent.
a part or other object per hundred
percent (not comparable)
- Expressed in percents; usually together with a number.
- I got a ten percent raise!
- The whisky usually contains over fifty percent alcohol by volume in the maturing casks, while the commercial brands are diluted to 40 to 45 percent.