Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
sortie (plural sorties)
- (military) An offensive military mission. Used originally to mean an attack from a fortress, but most commonly used today to describe a single mission by a military aircraft.
- (an offensive military mission): scramble
sortie f (plural sorties)
- An exit or way out.
- The action of exiting or going out of a place.
- The end; final part of.
- The release of a film, book, album etc.
- A school outing or trip lasting no longer than a day.
- (military) Leave, sally, sortie
- The meaning "end, release" is used of things such as school, theater etc. where a literal "exit" also occurs.
- feminine past participle of