Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
while (plural whiles)
- A certain duration of time, a period of time.
- He lectured for quite a long while.
certain duration of time, a period of time
- During the same time that.
- He was sleeping while I was singing.
- 1948, Carey McWilliams, North from Mexico / The Spanish-Speaking People of The United States, J. B. Lippincott Company, page 25,
- While De Anza was exploring the Bay of San Francisco, seeking a site for the presidio, the American colonists on the eastern seaboard, three thousand miles away, were celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
- This case, while interesting, is a bit frustrating.
- (Northern England, Scotland) until
- I'll wait while you've finished painting.
- I may be conveyed into your chamber; I'll lie under your bed while midnight. — Beaumont and Flanders.
during the same time that
until — see until
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked