Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
while (plural whiles)
- An uncertain duration of time, a period of time.
- He lectured for quite a long while.
uncertain duration of time, a period of time
- During the same time that.
- He was sleeping while I was singing.
- 1913, Joseph C. Lincoln, chapter 12, Mr. Pratt's Patients:
- While the powwow was going on the big woman came back again. She was consider'ble rumpled and scratched up, but there was fire in her eye.
- 1948, Carey McWilliams, North from Mexico / The Spanish-Speaking People of The United States, J. B. Lippincott Company, page 25,
- While De Anza was exploring the Bay of San Francisco, seeking a site for the presidio, the American colonists on the eastern seaboard, three thousand miles away, were celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
- 2013 June 7, David Simpson, “Fantasy of navigation”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 36:
- Like most human activities, ballooning has sponsored heroes and hucksters and a good deal in between. For every dedicated scientist patiently recording atmospheric pressure and wind speed while shivering at high altitudes, there is a carnival barker with a bevy of pretty girls willing to dangle from a basket or parachute down to earth.
- This case, while interesting, is a bit frustrating.
- (Northern England, Scotland) Until.
- I'll wait while you've finished painting.
- Beaumont and Fletcher
- I may be conveyed into your chamber; I'll lie under your bed while midnight.
- As long as.
- While you're at school you may live at home.
- I. Watts
- Use your memory; you will sensibly experience a gradual improvement, while you take care not to overload it.
during the same time that
until — see until
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To pass (time) idly.
- The lovely lady whiled the hours away.
- To loiter.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Spectator to this entry?)