advantageous; cheap; ordinary; plain; convenient; handy; easy; then; so; thus; to relieve oneself
|actually; place; (nominalisation prefix)|
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): bin6 so2
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): phien-só / pén-chiò
- Min Nan (POJ): piān-só͘
- (Min Nan) “Entry #4691”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
|Kanji in this term|
|しょ > じょ
Literally “place for convenience”.
While previously (1970s) this term, or the honorific お便所 (o-benjo) was the preferred polite term to refer to a bathroom, it has now been largely replaced with お手洗い (o-tearai, “washroom”) – or even トイレ (toire, “toilet”) – and sounds dated if used.
- トイレ (toire), おトイレ (o-toire)
- 手洗い (tearai), お手洗い (otearai, “washroom”)
- 化粧室 (keshōshitsu, “lavatory”, literally “make-up room, powder room”) – used in public spaces, like shops or airplane, more as the written sign than in speech.
- お便所 (o-benjo)
|Hanja in this term|