The Hyundai Motor Group takes its name from the conglomerate with which it was historically affiliated, the Hyundai Group. Borrowing from Korean 현대 (現代, hyeondae, “modern times”). Compare modern Chinese 現代／现代 (xiàndài).
- IPA(key): /ˈh(j)ʌn.deɪ/, /ˈh(j)ʌn.daɪ/, /haɪˈuːn.daɪ/, /hiˈuːn.daɪ/, /hiˈʌn.deɪ/
- (Korean) IPA(key): /ˈhjəːndɛ/
Hyundai (plural Hyundais)
- A car manufactured by the Hyundai Motor Group.
- 1991, Writing Center of New Mexico State University, Puerto Del Sol, volume 26, page 201:
- She could just imagine him wilting as Janice made insinuations about his boy-executive clothes, his Hyundai, the section of town he lived in, the school he had gone to.
- 2007, Jeff Chang, Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation, page 338:
- He had been such an ineffectual thief that the store-owner had seized the weapon from King and sent him running for his Hyundai as the store-owner took down the license plate number.
- 2010, Anthony Bozza, Whatever You Say I Am: The Life and Times of Eminem, page 195:
- The vocals and the music are as earnest as the lyrics are hilarious, with the narrator asking Jenny to step inside his Hyundai after comparing her to ripe fruit and impressing her with a fresh pack of gum.
- 2011, Bruce Dundore, The Seduction Diet, page 73:
- The stove was the size of his Hyundai back home.