See also: tier
- Thier (obsolete)
- animal (see usage notes below)
- A person who has a quality thought of as animalistic, such as ferocity, strength, hairiness, etc.
- Wenn er getrunken hat, wird er zum Tier.
- When he’s had a drink, he turns into an animal.
- (hunting jargon) hind (female red deer)
- Like English “animal”, German Tier has several possible scopes of meaning: Restriction to non-human land mammals is archaic. Restriction to non-human tetrapods is dated. The commonest contemporary use is that including all non-human animals. The inclusion of man is scientific, but also possible otherwise depending on the context.
Declension of Tier
Terms derived from Tier
- Tier in Duden online