Unsupported titles/Greater than
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (mathematics) Greater than, more than; used to show the number on the left has a greater value than the one on the right.
- for all x greater than three
- x is greater than three
- (computing) Synonym of
- Go to File > Save As > CSV file > OK
- (computing) Indicates that the user is being prompted for input.
- c:\users\home\> (Command Prompt in Microsoft Windows)
- (Internet) Used in e-mail, Usenet and some forums to indent the quoted message being replied to, or in plaintext to mimic this usage.
- >> What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- > Mine's strawberry.
- I prefer chocolate.
- (Internet slang) Is better (than); is superior (to).
- cats > dogs (cats are better than dogs)
- dogs > cats (dogs are better than cats)
- (linguistics) which becomes (used for diachronic changes only).
- (math): ≰
- (Internet slang) Used to quote a person, especially to emphasize what was said and make fun of the person.
- "i mean ubuntu is better than debian anyways, it's even the most mainstream version of desktop linux"
"> ubuntu is better than debian"
- (Internet slang) Used to emphasize and make fun of (what the speaker assumes is) a person's inner thoughts.
- "and so i got a mac since they have less viruses […] "
"> he thinks that macs are virus-free"
- (Internet slang) Used to emphasize and make fun of a person's actions.
- "so i opened up internet explorer, went to google, and looked it up […] "
"> using internet explorer in 2020"
- (Internet slang) Used for storytelling in short, fragmented statements.
- ">be me"
">decide to buy CS:GO to see why it's so popular"
">get instantly spawnkilled in my first game"
">uninstall the game and demand a refund"
- (Internet slang) Used to signify enjoyment or appreciation of something (over everything else), often with many repetitions of the symbol.
- "effort >"
"random hugs >>>>>"
The general practice of using > for quoting purposes dates back to its use on Usenet.