Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
acetate (plural acetates)
- (organic chemistry) Any salt or ester of acetic acid.
- Synonym: ethanoate
- Cellulose acetate.
- A transparent sheet used for overlays.
- Ellipsis of : a disc of aluminium covered in a wax used to make demonstration copies of a phonograph record.
- Coordinate term: dubplate
- 2002, Dave Thompson, The Music Lover's Guide to Record Collecting, Hal Leonard Corporation (→ISBN), Acetates—The Rock Star's Rough Draft:
- Acetates are a relic of the days before cassettes, DAT, and recordable CDs came into widespread use in recording studios. Manufactured from aluminum, and coated in a thin sheet of vinyl, they were produced to allow the concerned parties to hear how a particular version of a recording would sound outside the studio, on their home hi-fi, for example.
salt or ester of acetic acid
cellulose acetate — see cellulose acetate