Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Anarchist
anarchist (plural anarchists)
- One who believes in or advocates the absence of hierarchy and authority in most forms (compare anarchism), especially one who works toward the realization of such.
- (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- One who disregards laws and social norms as a form of rebellion against authority.
- (by extension) One who promotes chaos and lawlessness.
- Synonym: nihilist
- One who resents outside control or influence on his or her life, in particular a government, and therefore desires the absence of political control.
- Self-identified anarchists in sense 1 may object to the use of this term in senses 2 and 3.
believer in anarchism
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- anarchist [from late 18th c.]