See also: Bromide
bromide (plural bromides)
- (inorganic chemistry) A binary compound of bromine and some other element or radical.
- A dose of bromide taken as a sedative.
- A dull person with conventional thoughts.
- My adviser at college was a bromide who had not had an original thought in years.
- Frank Gelett Burgess
- The bromide conforms to everything sanctioned by the majority, and may be depended upon to be trite, banal, and arbitrary.
- A platitude.
- We hoped the speech would include reassurances, but instead it was merely one bromide after another.
Terms derived from bromide
chemistry: binary compound of bromine and another element
platitude — see platitude