Jump to navigation Jump to search
circumflex (plural circumflexes)
- A diacritical mark (ˆ) placed over a vowel in the orthography or transliteration of many languages to change its pronunciation; while in some other languages over a consonant.
- Synonym: circumflex accent
with circumflex accent
- To mark or pronounce with a circumflex.
- to circumflex a syllable
- 1791, John Walker, Critical Pronouncing Dictionary:
- those words […] circumflexed on the last syllabe
to mark or pronounce with circumflex