Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
crucible (plural crucibles)
- (chemistry) A cup-shaped piece of laboratory equipment used to contain chemical compounds when heating them to very high temperatures.
- A heat-resistant container in which metals are melted, usually at temperatures above 500°C, commonly made of graphite with clay as a binder.
- The bottom and hottest part of a blast furnace; the hearth.
- A very difficult and trying experience, that acts as a refining or hardening process.
cup-shaped piece of laboratory equipment
heat-resistant container in which metals are melted
difficult and trying experience
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.