Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Darter
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)tə(r)
darter (plural darters)
- One who darts, or who throws darts; that which darts.
- A waterbird with a long neck in the family Anhingidae.
- 1876, "Burmah" in the Encyclopædia Britannica, 9th ed., Vol. IV, p. 552:
- Any of various darting freshwater fish of the family Percidae, that are usually small and brightly coloured and are native to North America.
- Any of the similar South American (and Panamanian) freshwater fish in the characin family Crenuchidae
- (Britain) A dragonfly in the genus Sympetrum
- Synonym: meadowhawk (US)