Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A harsh, discordant combination of sounds.
- (music) Conflicting notes that are not overtones of the note or chord sounding.
- A state of disagreement or conflict.
- (countable) An instance of disharmony or disjunction; a clash.
- 1981, William Irwin Thompson, The Time Falling Bodies Take to Light: Mythology, Sexuality and the Origins of Culture, London: Rider/Hutchinson & Co., page 106:
- In this polyphony of images in the unconscious which is beyond and outside historical time, there are complex harmonies but no dissonances: the images do not clash, but that, of course, is an aesthetic judgment and not a scientific one.
a harsh, discordant combination of sounds
conflicting notes that are not overtones of the note or chord sounding
a state of disagreement or conflict
dissonance f (plural dissonances)