Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /(ˌ)ɛlɪ̈ˈmɛnt(ə)ɹɪ/
- (General American) enPR: ĕl'ĭ-mĕn′tə-rē, -trē, IPA(key): /ˌɛlɪ̈ˈmɛnt(ə)ɹi/
- Rhymes: -ɛntəɹi, -ɛntɹi
- Hyphenation: el‧e‧men‧ta‧ry
- Relating to the basic, essential or fundamental part of something.
- Relating to an elementary school.
- (physics) Relating to a subatomic particle.
- (archaic) Sublunary; not celestial; belonging to the sublunary sphere, to which the four classical elements (earth, air, fire and water) were confined; composed of or pertaining to these four elements.
relating to the basic, essential or fundamental part of something
relating to an elementary school
relating to a subatomic particle
elementary (plural elementaries)
- An elementary school
- (mythology, mysticism) A supernatural being which is associated with the elements.
- 2003, H P Blavatsky, The Letters of H. P. Blavatsky, volume 1:
- […] the spiritual man is either translated like Enoch and Elias to the higher state, or falls down lower than an elementary again […]
- 2007, Gerald Massey, The Natural Genesis, page 332:
- But, in Africa these became definite in their Egyptian Types, by means of which we can follow their development from the elementaries of Chaos and Space into Celestial Intelligencers […]