Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- basic, elementary; relating to, or forming, the base, or point of origin
- This is the basal idea.
- The organism needs more energy on basal maintenance.
- A basal reader is a kind of book that is used to teach reading.
- (anatomy) associated with the base of an organism or structure
- In the spring, basal leaves emerge from a stout taproot.
- (medicine) a minimal level that is necessary, such as a minimum dose of a drug
- (chiefly systematics) In a phylogenetic tree, being a group, or member of a group, which diverged earlier. The earliest clade to branch in a larger clade.
- Hittite is a basal Indo-European language.
- A magnolia is a basal angiosperm.
relating to, or forming, the base, or point of origin
a minimal level that is necessary, such as a minimum dose of a drug
basal (plural basals)