See also: finger-print
fingerprint (plural fingerprints)
- The unique natural pattern of ridges on the tips of the fingers.
- The patterns left on surfaces where uncovered fingertips have touched.
- (computing) Unique identification for public key in asymmetric cryptosystem.
- A unique combination of features that serves as an identification of something.
2008, Monika Waksmundzka-Hajnos, Joseph Sherma, & Teresa Kowalska, Thin Layer Chromatography in Phytochemistry, ISBN 1420046780, page 40:
- Most pharmacopoeial monographs of medicinal plants include TLC as method for identification based on a chromatographic fingerprint, which consists of a sequence of characteristic substance zones.
- A trace that gives evidence of someone's involvement.
the pattern of ridges on the tips of the fingers
the patterns left on surfaces where fingertips have touched
unique identification for public key in asymmetric cryptosystem
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (computing): hash
- (transitive) To take somebody's fingerprints.
- The jail staff fingerprints its inmates routinely
2017 September 23, “From north Wales to Norfolk, distraught beekeepers ask: who’s stealing our hives?”, in The Observer:
- Too often, the union says, farmers feel the police response is inadequate and the sentencing too lenient. It’s a view seemingly shared by one of the latest victims of bee rustling, Norfolk bee keeper Simon Greenwood, who told the Observer that police had taken some photos of the scene, fingerprinted a can and then sent him a letter to say no further action was being taken.
- (transitive) To identify something uniquely by a combination of measurements.
2004, Philip L. Hageman, Use of Short-Term (5-Minute) and Long-Term (18-Hour) Leaching Tests to Characterize, Fingerprint, and Rank Mine-Waste Material from Historical Mines in the Deer Creek, Snake River, and Clear Creek Watersheds in and around the Montezuma Mining District, Colorado, ISBN 1428984836, page 1:
- Analytical results from this combination of leach tests are tools that allow the investigator to quantify (fingerprint) which geochemical components could be expected in runoff from these piles if they were leached by a cloudburst...
to take fingerprints