Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
gaud (plural gauds)
- a cheap showy trinket
- an idle gaud
- 1926, T. E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom
- Dalmeny lent me red tabs, Evans his brass hat; so that I had the gauds of my appointment in the ceremony of the Jaffa gate, which for me was the supreme moment of the war.
- (obsolete) trick; jest; sport
- (obsolete) deceit; fraud; artifice
a cheap showy trinket
- (obsolete) To bedeck gaudily; to decorate with gauds or showy trinkets or colours; to paint.
- Nicely gauded cheeks.