Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
gibbet (plural gibbets)
- An upright post with a crosspiece used for execution and subsequent public display; a gallows.
1728, Otway, Thomas, “The Atheist, or, the Second Part of the Solider's Fortune”, in The Works of Mr. Thomas Otway, volume 2, London, page 37:
- No, had every Commandment but a Gibbet belonging to it, I ſhould not have had four King's Evidences to-day ſwear impudently I was a Papiſt, when I was never at Maſs yet ſince I was born, nor indeed at any other Worſhip theſe twenty Years.
- The projecting arm of a crane, from which the load is suspended; the jib.
- Human form structure made of iron bands designed to publicly display the corpse of an executed criminal.
upright post with a crosspiece used for execution and subsequent public display; a gallows
- (transitive) To execute (someone), or display (a body), on a gibbet.
- (transitive) To expose (someone) to ridicule or scorn.
to execute (someone), or display (a body), on a gibbet
- ^ Le Robert pour tous, Dictionnaire de la langue française, Janvier 2004, p. 520