hang out to dry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- Used other than figuratively or idiomatically: see hang, out, dry.
- (transitive, idiomatic) To abandon someone who is in need or in danger, especially a colleague or one dependent.
- Synonym: leave someone hanging
- 2008, Joe Fiorito, "Our home-care system hangs families out to dry," Toronto Star, 7 Mar. (retrieved 23 Aug. 2008),
- Without supplemental health insurance, we would have been hung out to dry.
- Often carries an element of betrayal of someone who might have expected protection or assistance.
abandon someone in need