Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (reflexive) To take something freely; to serve oneself without restraint.
- He said I could help myself to the chocolates.
- 1920, Herman Cyril McNeile, Bulldog Drummond Chapter 1
- Hugh helped himself to bacon. "My dear fellow, she can think what she likes so long as she continues to grill bacon like this. Your wife is a treasure, James—a pearl amongst women; and you can tell her so with my love."
- To exhibit self-control.
- Sorry for eating all the chocolates - I couldn't help myself.
- Used other than as an idiom: see help.
- God helps those who help themselves.
take something freely