Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (chiefly by a wife) To nag persistently.
- 1945, Pierre Paul Ebeyer, Gems of the Vieux Carre, page 77:
- Well, one never hears a woman boast that she henpecks her husband, even though there are many, for the reason that she realizes it is wrong.
to nag persistently
henpeck (plural henpecks)
- (rare) A man who is meekly subservient to his wife.
- 1953, B. V. P., Chronicles of Dewan Bahadur, Yama Dharma Rao, page 44:
- One can't swear that Dewan Bahadur Yama Dharma Rao was a henpeck ; nor could be said that the practical Lady was a cockpeck.
- 1985, James Mallahan Cain, Roy Hoopes, Michael Hinden, 60 Years of Journalism (page 40)
- The moment he allows the emphasis to swing the other way he becomes a sit-by-the-fire, a cockerel, a drone, a henpeck. A woman steps into this man's sphere at her peril.