Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Incapable of being reversed or turned about or back; incapable of being made to run backward.
- an irreversible engine
- Incapable of being reversed, recalled, repealed, or annulled.
- an irreversible sentence or decree
2014 April 21, “Subtle effects”, The Economist, volume 411, number 8884:
- Manganism has been known about since the 19th century, when miners exposed to ores containing manganese […] began to totter, slur their speech and behave like someone inebriated. The poisoning was irreversible, and soon ended in psychosis and death.
- (thermodynamics) Incapable of being reversed to the original state without consumption of free energy and increase of entropy.
incapable of being reversed
incapable of being reversed, recalled, repealed, or annulled
irreversible m, f (plural irreversibles)
- irreversible (not able to be reversed)