lilac (plural lilacs)
- A large shrub of the genus Syringa, bearing white, pale pink, or purple flowers.
- 1907, Robert William Chambers, chapter V, in The Younger Set (Project Gutenberg; EBook #14852), New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, published 1 February 2005 (Project Gutenberg version), OCLC 24962326:
- Breezes blowing from beds of iris quickened her breath with their perfume; she saw the tufted lilacs sway in the wind, and the streamers of mauve-tinted wistaria swinging, all a-glisten with golden bees; she saw a crimson cardinal winging through the foliage, and amorous tanagers flashing like scarlet flames athwart the pines.
- A flower of the lilac shrub.
- A pale purple colour, the colour of some lilac flowers.
- lilac colour:
- (colour) having a pale purple colour.
- ^ Skeat, A Concise Etymological Dictionary of the English Language, 1895