manscape (plural manscapes)
- A view of a group of people.
1859, Bayard Taylor, A Visit to India, China and Japan in the Year 1853:
- I soon turned to contemplate the more animated manspace at my feet. Seeing a crowd of beggars standing together in dejected attitudes, I cast a handful of cash into the air, in such wise that the coins would fall plump among them, and then dropped behind the parapet of the pagoda.
- A landscape that has been shaped by the human race.
2001, Denis Edwards, Earth Revealing--earth Healing:
- For example, he compares the monumental conquest of Mount Rushmore by Europeans, in which landscape became manscape. w'ith the indigenous Lakota people's desire to honor the Great Spirit, Wakonda […]
- An image, normally artistic, of the male form.
2002, Richard Labonte, Best Gay Erotica 2002:
- no contemplative staring at the marble-statue manscape I'd downloaded from one of the porno websites I'd found.
- (rare) To impose a shape on the landscape to suit humans.
1958, New Zealand Railway & Locomotive Society, The New Zealand Railway Observer:
- On the valley floor, wide enough to admit the more pleasing features of manscaping, the Little River meanders
- (neologism) To trim or shave a male's hair, typically other than the hair atop and behind his head. The term applies most frequently to facial hair, including that of the eyebrows, ears, and nostrils; somewhat frequently to shoulders and back; less frequently to buttocks and pubes; infrequently to arms and legs.
2009 October 6, Molly Kissler, “How To: Manscape”, in State Press Magazine:
- "Manscaping, otherwise known as the art of shaving, waxing and cleaning up the superfluous fur on a man..., is a must in this day and age"
2009 September 30, Sara DiRienzo, “The Art of Manscaping”, in College News:
- College News presents a working guide of the dos and don’ts of manscaping, taken from suggestions of college students themselves: Dos: ...Facial shaving/beard trimming, ...Controlling pubic hair, ...Embrace leg hair; Donts: Excessive chest hair, Long nose hairs, Ear hair, Adventurous shoulder and back hair, Unibrows, Wild beards... Follow these directions, and you’ll be making sure that the man in your life is properly manscaped.
2007, Jen Lancaster, Bright Lights, Big Ass:
- Is it that hard to manscape? You know, get an electric razor, trim up your shrubbery, blow out your front yard a bit?