Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
miniature (plural miniatures)
- Greatly diminished size or form; reduced scale.
- A small version of something; a model of reduced scale.
- There was a miniature of a whaling ship in a glass bottle over the mantlepiece.
- A small, highly detailed painting, a portrait miniature.
- The art of painting such highly detailed miniature works.
- An illustration in an illuminated manuscript.
- A musical composition which is short in duration.
- Sacha composed a miniature for strings as a final project at the conservatory.
- (gaming) A token in a game representing a unit or character.
- Jack had dozens of miniatures of Napoleonic footsoldiers painted in detailed period regalia for his wargames.
- Lettering in red; rubric distinction.
- A particular feature or trait.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Massinger to this entry?)
a model of reduced scale
a musical composition which is short in duration
- Smaller than normal.
2013 September 6, Alok Jha, “Miniature brains grown in lab”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 13, page 39:
- Scientists have grown miniature human brains in test tubes, creating a "tool" that will allow them to watch how the organs develop in the womb and, they hope, increase their understanding of neurological and mental problems. ¶ Just a few millimetres across, the "cerebral organoids" are built up of layers of brain cells with defined regions that resemble those seen in immature, embryonic brains.
- I find miniature dogs annoying; they seem to yap more than full-size dogs.
smaller than normal
miniature f (plural miniatures)
- “miniature” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- plural form of