Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Appendix:Variations of "n"
Borrowed from Latin nervus (“nerve”).
n. (plural nn.)
Abbreviation of Latin novus or any of its inflected forms.
n. (dated plural nn.)
- 1979, Gerardo Lamas, “Paititia neglecta, gen. n., sp. n. from Perú (Nymphalidae: Ithomiinae)”, in Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society, volume 33, number 1 (in English), The Society, page 1:
- Paititia neglecta, gen. n., sp. n., from Perú, San Martín, Juanjui, is described herein. This monotypic genus is considered to be the most primitive member of the tribe Mechanitini of the Ithomiinae.
- 1912 June, H. Lyster Jameson, “Studies on Pearl-Oysters and Pearls”, in Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London (in English), page 347:
- I consider these worms to be more probably referable to the genus Tylocephalum (or an allied form), and have provisionally described them under the name of Tylocephalum ludificans and T. minus, spp. nn.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:n..
- Abbreviation of note.
- (law) Abbreviation of footnote.
- (grammar) Abbreviation of noun.
- Alternative form: n
- Abbreviation of north.
- Alternative form: n
- (linguistics) Abbreviation of intransitive (“neutral”).
This is the customary abbreviation of "note"/"footnote" as used in legal citation. See, e.g., The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation, Nineteenth Edition (2010), "Subdivisions", Table T16, p. 472-73.
n. (not comparable)
- (grammar) Abbreviation of neuter.
- Abbreviation of northern.
- Abbreviation of naskiĝinta (“born”).
- Abbreviation of noin (“approx.”).
n. m (uncountable)
- Abbreviation of nombre (“name”).
- Abbreviation of nacido (“born”).
- Translingual terms borrowed from Latin
- Translingual terms derived from Latin
- Translingual lemmas
- Translingual nouns
- Translingual terms spelled with .
- Translingual adjectives
- Translingual terms with quotations
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English words without vowels
- English terms spelled with .
- English abbreviations
- English adjectives
- English uncomparable adjectives
- English case citation abbreviations
- Esperanto non-lemma forms
- Esperanto adjective forms
- Esperanto terms spelled with .
- Esperanto abbreviations
- Finnish lemmas
- Finnish adverbs
- Finnish terms spelled with .
- Finnish abbreviations
- Spanish lemmas
- Spanish nouns
- Spanish uncountable nouns
- Spanish terms spelled with .
- Spanish masculine nouns
- Spanish abbreviations
- Spanish adjectives