Jump to navigation Jump to search
overlord (plural overlords)
- A ruler of other rulers.
- The various tribal chieftains met each spring to elect an overlord that would lead them in time of war.
- (historical) In the English feudal system, a lord of a manor who had subinfeudated a particular manor, estate or fee, to a tenant.
- The tenant thenceforth owed to the overlord one of a variety of services, usually military service or serjeanty, depending on which form of tenure the estate was held under.
- Anyone with overarching power or authority in a given domain.
- The crusty old professor was overlord of the history department, and few dared to cross his will.
- 2009, Charles Stross, The Jennifer Morgue, page 239:
- Fluffy is wearing a diamond collar that belongs in the Tower of London with a platoon of Beefeaters standing guard over it. "I for one welcome our new feline overlords."
- (one with power or authority): This sense frequently carries negative connotations, and may imply tyranny or authoritarianism.
a ruler of other rulers