Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
overlord (plural overlords)
- A ruler of other rulers.
- The various tribal chieftains met each spring to elect an overlord that would lead them in time of war.
- Anyone with overarching power or authority in a given domain.
- The crusty old professor was overlord of the history department, and few dared to cross his will.
2009, Charles Stross, The Jennifer Morgue, page 239:
- Fluffy is wearing a diamond collar that belongs in the Tower of London with a platoon of Beefeaters standing guard over it. "I for one welcome our new feline overlords."
- The second sense frequently carries negative connotations; calling one an overlord can imply tyranny or authoritarianism.
a ruler of other rulers