Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) To make something harmful, especially by the addition of some unwanted product.
- The factory polluted the river when it cleaned its tanks.
- (transitive) To make something or somewhere less suitable for some activity, especially by the introduction of some unnatural factor.
- The lights from the stadium polluted the night sky, and we couldn't see the stars.
- (dated) To corrupt or profane
- But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.” —Revelation 21:8 (RSV)
- To violate sexually; to debauch; to dishonour.
to make something harmful
to make something or somewhere less suitable
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (rare) Polluted.