Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA(key): /pɹəˈskɹaɪb/
- (distinguished from prescribe):
- Rhymes: -aɪb
- Homophone: prescribe (in some dialects)
- (transitive) To forbid or prohibit.
The law proscribes driving a car with a blood alcohol level of over .10%.
- (transitive) To denounce.
The word "ain't" is proscribed by many authorities.
- (transitive) To banish or exclude.
Many Roman citizens were proscribed for taking part in rebellions.
(Can we add an example for this sense?)
- Avoid the erroneous construction “proscribe against”; substitute “proscribe” alone or the phrase “prescribe against”.
forbid or prohibit
banish or exclude
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.