Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The latter pronunciation is used when added distinction from prescribe is desired.
- (transitive) To forbid or prohibit.
- The law proscribes driving a car with a blood alcohol level of over .10%.
- (transitive) To denounce.
- The word ain't is proscribed by many authorities.
- (transitive) To banish or exclude.
- Many Roman citizens were proscribed for taking part in rebellions.
- Avoid the erroneous construction “proscribe against”; substitute “proscribe” alone or the phrase “prescribe against”.
forbid or prohibit
banish or exclude
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.