Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: quinceanera
quinceañera (plural quinceañeras)
- (chiefly Mexico and US) The fifteenth birthday and particularly the celebration and ceremony surrounding it for a young woman.
1987, Texas Monthly:
- Any given night will find moms with their shoulders mounded with chrysanthemums and daughters decked out in quinceañera lace.
in Mexico, fifteenth birthday celebration for a young woman
- (Castilian) IPA(key): /kinθeaˈɲeɾa/, [kĩn̟θeaˈɲeɾa]
- (Latin America) IPA(key): /kinseaˈɲeɾa/, [kĩnseaˈɲeɾa]
- Rhymes: -eɾa
- Hyphenation: quin‧ce‧a‧ñe‧ra
- feminine equivalent of : fifteen-year-old (girl)
- (Latin America, chiefly Mexico and US, only in the feminine) quinceañera (fifteenth birthday celebration for a young woman)