Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To dictate policy.
- To control or direct according to rule, principle, or law.
- the laws which regulate the successions of the seasons
- The herdsmen near the frontier adjudicated their own disputes, and regulated their own police.
- To adjust to a particular specification or requirement: regulate temperature.
- To adjust (a mechanism) for accurate and proper functioning.
- to regulate a watch, i.e. adjust its rate of running so that it will keep approximately standard time
- to regulate the temperature of a room, the pressure of steam, the speed of a machine, etc.
- To put or maintain in order.
- to regulate the disordered state of a nation or its finances
- to regulate one's eating habits
control — see control
- regulate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “regulate”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911