seasoning (plural seasonings)
- (cooking) Something used to add taste or flavour to food, such as a condiment, herb or spice.
- A coat of burnt soot inside a cooking vessel, which has formed over repeated use, and which renders the surface non sticking.
- (archaic) An alcoholic intoxication.
- Some of our gentlemen officers, happening to stop at a tavern, or rather a sort of grogshop, took such a seasoning that two or three of them became “quite frisky.”
- (intoxication): drunkenness
- See also Thesaurus:seasoning