Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Shady
- Abounding in shades.
- Causing shade.
- Overspread with shade; sheltered from the glare of light or sultry heat.
- (informal) Not trustworthy; disreputable.
- He is a shady character.
- 2009: Stuart Heritage, Hecklerspray, Friday the 22nd of May in 2009 at 1 o’clock p.m., “Jon & Kate Latest: People You Don’t Know Do Crap You Don’t Care About”
- Jon & Kate Plus 8 is a show based on two facts: 1) Jon and Kate Gosselin have eight children, and 2) the word ‘Kate’ rhymes with the word ‘eight’. One suspects that if Kate were ever to have another child, a shady network executive would urge her to put it in a binbag with a brick and drop it down a well. But this is just a horrifying tangent.
- (UK, slang) Mean, cruel.
- Don't be shady, give us a go.
- 2007, Grace Dent, Diary of a Chav 2: Slinging the Bling:
- I didn't even ask her to be in the 'Increase the Peace' campaign, which was well shady, 'cos if anyone knows anything about rudes and violence and getting dragged into stuff it's Uma.
- 2007, Chastity Danielle Infinity, Jamo Lorswal, A Rose So That It May Rain, page 155:
- "Don't be shady," she said, "You know I always pay up."
abounding in shades
overspread with shade
not trustworthy; unfit to be seen or known