Jump to navigation Jump to search
- æquivocal (rare, obsolete)
equivocal (plural equivocals)
A word or expression capable of different meanings
- Having two or more equally applicable meanings; capable of double or multiple interpretation; ambiguous; uncertain.
- equivocal words; an equivocal sentence
- Capable of being ascribed to different motives, or of signifying opposite feelings, purposes, or characters; deserving to be suspected.
- His actions are equivocal.
- Uncertain, as an indication or sign; doubtful, incongruous.
having several applicable significations
capable of being ascribed to different motives, or of signifying opposite feelings, purposes, or characters